How to Estimate the Cost of Your Move!
Our 26 foot box trucks hold approximately 1800-2000 square feet of normally furnished living space. That is usually equivalent to an average 3 bedroom home. A COMPLETELY full truck takes approximately 2-3 hours to load and 2-3 hours to unload for a crew of 2 movers. A truck that is not full will take less time. The drive time while the truck is loaded is also on the hourly clock. After preforming thousands of moves we have determined these time estimates as our average. Many variables play a part in this time including how well prepared the customer is, access from the truck to your home, more than the average amount of furniture per square foot and difficult special items like pianos, gun safes and pool tables.
Again, as in the example above, our hourly clock is prorated to the minute. If the job took less time the total cost would be less, if it took more time it could be more. These numbers are based solely on industry averages.
Tips for Saving Time on Move Day
1. The number one variable on the total time a move will take is how well the customer is prepared. If everything is well packed into boxes and tubs your move will go much faster as the crew can carry multiple boxes of items compared to loose objects. If you would like to hire a Big Blue packing crew to save you time and money on move day contact our office and a member of management will assist you.
2. Proper labeling of boxes and furniture will help our crews determine where each piece is going at the new location.
3. Big Blue Moving also offers furniture assembly and disassembly however if furniture is broke down prior to arrival you can save time on your hourly clock. *Reminder – Big Blue Moving cannot disassemble or reassemble cribs or refrigerators. We can remove TV’s and mounts from the wall however we cannot reinstall them. If you require this service please ask a member of management at time of booking and they can get you in contact with our electrician/home theater technicians.
4. Staging lighter boxes in central locations close to the entry door can save crew walk time throughout the home on move day.
5. Make sure access is clear for the truck to get as close as possible to the entry door. (We do not drive on grass) Having clear walkways for the moving crew to navigate the home during move day can speed up load times. We load our trucks in a specific manner to allow for maximum space used. This means we may jump from room to room loading items that fit into specific areas inside our truck as the load progresses. Loading the truck is like a large game of Tetris. And we are masters at it!
6. Are you downsizing and thinking about selling a few pieces before the move? Sometimes selling a few items before the move can not only make the move itself faster but with our low hourly rates the extra money from the sale could likely pay for the rest of the move.
Remember these are only suggestions if you are looking for ways to cut the total move time down. If you would like to sit back and relax while we pack, disassemble, move, unpack, reassemble and organize everything in your home we would be happy to help. Feel free to call our office at 859.608.BLUE for more information and details about your upcoming move.